Rope pumps have a wheel, a rope and washers to lift the water.
Advantages compared to Afridev pumps
- 3 to 5 times cheaper
- Simpler in construction
- Easier to install and repair
- Local production so low cost spares are available
- Fit for small communities
- Can be an option where Afridev pumps are too expensive
Disadvantages compared to Afridev pumps
- Is not fit for large communities, max. number of users 150
- Requires more frequent maintenance.
- Has less “Hi-tech” look
- Is a semi open pump so water in the well could be contaminated by the rope.
(Studies indicate that in similar wells, and good quality pump and installation, the water quality from a Rope pump is hardly less than water quality from piston pumps like an Afridev pump.)
- Rope pumps can pump from wells of 1 to 35 meters deep
- Fits on any size hand dug well and Tube wells with casings of 2 to 6 inch
- Pump capacity; 0 – 10m deep-35 l/min, 10 – 20m deep-18 l/min, 20- 35m deep-9 l/min